Last year, I put together a list of professional development ideas for you to do over the summer. I wanted to create a new list for you to consider attending- especially when I am on a conference high after NECTFL!
- AATSP has their national conference this year in Chicago from July 6-9. It is their 99th conference! I attended this conference in DC, and I enjoyed it and learned a lot from the presenters.
- NTPRS is back at San Antonio from July 17-21. I went there many years ago and learned a lot especially from the elementary strand when I was teaching Lower School. I went back when I was teaching Middle School and Upper School and also learned a ton of information. You can read all of my notes to see what a valuable conference this was. If you cannot make it to NTPRS, TPRS Books has workshops all around the country over the summer.
- iFLT is in Denver from July 11-14. This has always been on my list to attend. Laura attended and posted a lot on her blog about this conference.
- TELL Collab is also an awesome conference in Austin from July 24-26. It is a participant driven conference. Here are Amy’s notes on the conference!
- We had Sara-Elizabeth visit our school, and we learned so much (and switched to more proficiency based teaching). She has two BaseCamp Musicuentos: June 15-16 in Louisville, Kentucky and July 10-11 in Warwick, Rhode Island. She will also offer the Brave Little Tailor July 31-August 1 in Louisville, Kentucky.
- I learned about LILL (Leadership Initiative for Language Learning) at the ACTFL conference this year, and many people gave it high marks. It is June 27-29 in Skokie, IL which is close to Chicago.
- CARLA institutes also have summer programs. Some are held at the University of Minnesota, but they have some online as well, so you can complete them from any location.
- AIM Language Learning has a 2.5 day Summer Institute for French, Spanish and Mandarin teachers that will be July 5-7, 2017 in Niagara area, Ontario, Canada. It looks fascinating!
- Connecticut Teaching for Proficiency Institute looks phenomenal with Thomas Sauer! It will be held June 26-27 in Stonington, CT.
Also, there are a lot of amazing non foreign language related professional developments to attend.
- ISTE (an instructional technology conference) is being held in San Antonio from June 25-28. This is on my list of conferences that I really want to attend. Many colleagues have been and enjoyed this conference. One of my teacher friends posted about her experience last year at ISTE.
- Also, if you are near Maine, you can go to a conference with Richard of Free Tech 4 Teachers about BYOD. I learn so much from his blog that I am sure you would get a lot out of a face to face conference.
- I was just looking at this awesome CUE Rockstar PD in California! I would sign up today because it looks amazing, and it is in Vista where I had my first teaching job; however, we are on our family vacation that week. If you sign up, let me know how it is!
- I have been to an art teacher institute at the Chrysler Museum in Norfolk, Va. I loved it and loved all of that extra time in the museum. We even got to go behind the scenes and see where they store the art that isn’t on display. Here are some other art institutes, but I would encourage you to check your local art museum. The Smithsonian American Art museum has a teaching Humanities through the Arts institute. The NGA has a summer institute on Renaissance art. Many teachers from my school attended the National Portrait Gallery‘s learning to look institute and learned a lot- one ended up becoming a docent!
- EdCamps are free and held all throughout the year! Last year, the department of education in Maryland hosted subject specific edcamps. I loved the EdCamp Maryland WL, and I met a lot of local teachers which is also fun.
- I loved Ditch Summit over the winter break. Check out Matt Miller’s (Ditch That Textbook and former Spanish teacher) list of presentations at the end of his blog posts. Some may be near you!
- I just saw these workshops from the EdTech team. They got really good reviews, and there are locations in many states.
What did I miss? Message me, and I will add your PD to the list.