Welcome to my blog! I have been blogging for almost five years now, and I wanted to create this page for everyone who is new to my blog. I teach using comprehensible input, and I assess with Integrated Performance Assessments (IPAs). I also use novels to guide my curriculum. If you are new here, I suggest starting with:
- How to start teaching for proficiency: interpretive
- How to start teaching for proficiency: interpersonal
- How to start teaching for proficiency: presentational
- How I transitioned to IPAs
- My NOT to do list when switching to teaching with proficiency
I also have been writing news articles every other week to be used in a high level 1 to level 2-3 classes (and up!) You can find the category here with all of the PDFs in each post.
This year, I have used novels to help guide my curriculum. I have used:
- El Ekeko (level 1)
- Piratas del Caribe y el mapa secreto (level 1)
- Frida Kahlo (level 5)
- Billy y las botas (level 2)
- Vidas Impactantes (level 5)
- Robo en la noche (level 3)
If you are looking for beginning of the year activities, check out:
- My Spanish 1 first unit plans here, here, here, and here.
- My Spanish 2 first unit on Netflix starts here, and I have more information here.
- My first day of Spanish plans from last year
- And my syllabi and tentative plans from last year
Finally, here is a list of over 100 authentic resources that I have used in my Spanish classes levels 1-3.
I am slowly adding resources to my Teachers Pay Teachers Page such as IPAs, journal prompts and videos where I explain various topics that I do in my classroom. You can check it all out here!
This year, I will be presenting at:
- Comprehensible Online: an online conference through March and April. I will be presenting on how to spice up whole class novels.
- NECTFL on how I use technology to make authentic resources accessible for all students using technology.
- FLAVA spring mini conference: on interpersonal activities that I use in class
Interested in contacting me (marisdemosthenes AT gmail.com) to present? Here are some of my presentation topics that I have done in the past:
- Tech tools for the proficiency based classroom
- How to make the day to day switch to teach for proficiency
- Whole class novels
- Tech tools for the CI classroom