I have loved reading El Ekeko this year! Of all of the Spanish 1 books that I have used, I found that this one was the richest in culture. I feel that I too learned a lot about Bolivian culture. Previously, I mentioned how I introduced the book to give some background. I also included how I planned a Google Tour and used Google Slides to practice speaking as well. Here are some more of my resources that I used with the book:
- On my May 7th news, I included information about a theater festival in La Paz. This would be great for an introduction as well.
- Also, I did some PictureTalks with pictures from this Instagram account. (It is awesome!) I also was thinking about it in retrospect that I should have searched for the #alasitas2018 hashtag on Instagram to get more pictures for the festival!
- I used this video with Alasitas to discuss it. Then, I had students create a miniature item that they would make for the festival with Play-doh.
- Here are the puedos that I used with my students. I also had them comparing the first book (Piratas) and El Ekeko.
- Also, I was going to be out one day, and I left the book at school. I came up with this general reading guide. It can be used for any chapter of any book.
- I used this Quizizz game around Chapter 9.
Hope these extra resources help you as you plan to teach this book!