Recently, I found myself down a YouTube wormhole with a few purposes. I want to start to find some more videos for my Spanish 1 and Spanish 5 classes next year. I have also found a ton of female vloggers (including one of my favorites). I want to find some more videos with males, so they are not all female focused. Here are some of the videos (and some EdPuzzles that I have created) that I have found to share with you:
- Cocinemos juntos has some great cooking videos. He speaks slowly and clearly and the visuals are wonderful. He also has some Nicaraguan food videos including one on tacos. It would be great to have students compare Nicaraguan tacos with Mexican tacos.
- I really like this fashion vlog for men. I watched a video about different trends for men. It is easy to come across these for women, so I would like to assign two different videos for the girls and boys in my class. I also found this video about outfits to wear when you return to classes when it is cold for boys.
- This YouTube channel has a lot of pop culture (which I love!) I could see this video about 9 movies to see to be perfect to inspire a conversation about what students want to see or not. They also have a who wore it best after awards ceremonies.
- I love some of the themes that many of the vloggers start. I would use clips of the 50 things about me to get my students started with authentic resources in the beginning of the year (Spanish 2). I love Tag 20 canciones. They have some really great conversation topics. It would be fun to start with two questions each day in the beginning of the year- like what song do you love in secret and what song do you know all of the words to. The good thing about these themes is that many vloggers post about them, so you have many choices.
- Kevin Karla y la Banda has some great covers of English songs. Check out Laura who covers other English songs including Beauty and the Beast! (My son loves this Maroon 5 song!)
- My students love Starbucks! This would be perfect for a more advanced group– tips on what to order and what not to order in Starbucks.
- Looking to spice up your technology unit and not talk about fax machines? This girl talks about what is on her iPhone and how to edit photos on Instagram. Maybe it is just because I love technology, but I really enjoy hearing what apps others use. This is another topic that includes a TON of videos about what teens have on their iPhone.
Hope my journey on YouTube has helped you find some new videos to try in class.