I noticed that many people had been looking for ideas for the Friday before Spring Break, and my post was from 2013! Plus, who is going to use Fakebook anymore? The students certainly don’t use it! Here is an updated list of what you can do before any break:
- BaileViernes has been sweeping Spanish classes everywhere! Allison has collected 84 videos that have Spanish music and dancing here. I tried this one Friday, and it was a lot of fun!
- At ACTFL, I learned about digital storytelling with Noah Geisel (who also gave credit to his students!) You can have students reenact scenes from a recent story on Snapchat. Students download them and then submit them to you. Or if you have been reading, you can do some book snaps! This is one of my favorite activities to do with students recently because I always laugh at what they create.
- Sra Sexton has had her students creating memes, and they are awesome!
- I have shown telenovelas from Netflix before. I love them for level 2 because the scenes are short. They provide a nice stopping point, so I can easily discuss what just happened. Plus the drama normally makes it easy to follow along. Also, sometimes my students will watch the WHOLE telenovela without any prompting! Last year, I think at least 3 of my students watched the whole series and came up to me this year to let me know that it was off Netflix! You can’t ask for more than that!
- Also grab a trophy and have students celebrate their accomplishments and set goals for the rest of the year.
- I saw this tweet from the Central States: use these minute to win it games! Explain it in the TL and then discuss who could and couldn’t do the task in the TL.
- I really like the Creative Crossword game found here.
- Students also love to play games like Kahoot, Quizizz or even do PearDecks (or its similar component- NearPod).
What do you like to do right before break? Share below!