I love to shop! When I studied abroad, I loved to wander around stores and supermarkets. It was so interesting to see what each store had. Since we don’t have time to pop over to Argentina and wander around stores, webquests are one of my favorite things. When students navigate a website, they see that sometimes certain countries use different words then what we learn. We always have a conversation about price. In addition, websites have so many pictures that support comprehension.
I found this website for the store Falabella in Argentina. I used this for furniture, but you could use it for clothes, sporting goods, beauty etc. I created these questions about the website for my students. We are going to discuss a few things about them tomorrow like what items they wanted to add to their house specifically. However, with this website you could find so many ideas for other units!
- You could also give each student a room to decorate and a budget then have them pick out designs for the room.
- You could have students come up with outfits from the website. You could even review clothes when you talk about sports because they have a huge list of athletic clothes.
- They also have a link with job descriptions. This would be perfect for upper levels.
- Students could compare the technology that we have with the technology from this store. What is similar and different?
- If students look at their Facebook page, they can see some back to school promotions (and discuss why they are going “back to school” now).
- Too much reading? Check out their YouTube page for videos on gift ideas, fashion tips and commercials.