Today, our wonderful Assistant Principal shared an awesome icebreaker. I enjoyed it, and it could easily be done in levels 2-3 or higher in the target language. Here is how it worked:
- Students are in groups of 3-4 people.
- Everyone says “take three.”
- One person gives a category to another person in the group. For example, they could say “favorite foods.”
- The next person lists their top three foods.
- Everyone says “take three.” Then the person who lists his favorite foods gives another category like “favorite classes” to a new group mate. That person will list their top three classes.
This would keep going until you call time. For earlier levels, you could put categories on the board to help keep kids in the target language. That will also give students time to think about their answers. You could also combine this with Zachary Jones’ Como eres activity where musicians describe themselves in three words.