I have been trying to decide where to begin my year with Spanish 2. I wanted to do some sort of pop culture unit because I love pop culture! Plus, I believe that pop culture easily lends itself to culture comparisons as well. After mulling over a couple of ideas, I determined to use Netflix/movies and TV as my beginning unit. I can cover many of the grammar topics that my fellow colleagues cover as a review unit as well.
I will share my final assessment for my students as well as breaking down how I will build up to the final IPA:
My final IPA will consist of:
- Interpretive: Read two descriptions of shows on Netflix and analyze them.
- Interpersonal Writing: Compare with a partner via table texting which show you would like to see and why (from the previous two shows.)
- Presentational Writing: Write a review of a show that you watched on Netflix. Give a brief summary, describe a character and why you liked it or did not like it.
My first week will revolve around describing characters in different series. Their first assessment will be a presentational writing assignment. They will have to describe the characters in a series that they choose as their final goal.
In the first unit, I want to do the following activities:
- I need to spend some time reviewing the presentational rubric and where students should be writing. I want to give examples as well.
- I also will start with La Persona Especial.
- Students will also read some of the fichas on their favorite celebrities. They will answer questions about each celebrity.
- Students will practice writing by journaling in Seesaw.
- I also create a PearDeck (an interactive slideshow) with celebrities for students to describe. You could also just create a powerpoint and have students speak or use whiteboards.
- Thanks to Musicuentos’ #AuthResAugust, I found this Twitter account that highlights different Mexicans. It is so awesome! (This week is Isaac Hernández a dancer.)