While many times I have students answer questions, this can become repetitive and boring for students. I try to spice up my reading activities. I am including some tried and true ideas along with new ideas.
1. Have students draw a picture or a comic strip to summarize the story. Students can even draw a comic strip of what they think would happen next.
2. Create an advertisement to put on a billboard to entice others to read the book using a compelling image from the story and a slogan.
3. Use social media: write a hashtag, tweet, Facebook post, Instagram picture with caption to summarize the story or chapter. You can also have other characters respond.
4. Insert yourself into the story: What would you do and tell the characters?
5. Write fortune cookies for each character. What will their lives be like in 10 years? 15 years?