As I am preparing for a new school year, it is so important to take time out to get your home and self ready for school. The first month is so hectic, and you are exhausted! Here are some ways that I get ready for school to start:
-I emptied the pantry, fridge, and freezer of everything that had expired. My husband’s nose is pretty good when I need to get rid of something stinky, but there are a few things that don’t smell and just sit there… and sit there.
-I do all of my laundry. I hate laundry. I am notorious for continually starting the dryer until I remember to take the clothes out in time. (I may be currently doing this while writing this post!) It is so helpful to have all of your laundry done before it becomes a huge mound in the laundry basket… or baskets in my case.
-The one thing that I am really good at is shopping for the meals a week in advance. Sometimes, I am even so good, I prepare some of them on Sunday. These are my favorite go to recipes for my hectic life:
- Rachael Ray’s Chicken Salsa Verde Bake: I get precooked or rotisserie chicken and use the mango salsa from Costco. Amazing!
- Rachael Ray’s Asian Pepper Steak: I don’t brown it before because I am lazy. I also buy the teriyaki marinated beef and just throw in whatever Asian sauces that I have in the fridge. AND to top off my laziness, I buy the Organic Brown Frozen Rice at Trader Joe’s. Three minutes to brown rice! It is pretty tasteless but not when covered with the sauce from the steak.
- Elly Says Opa’s Crusty Black Bean and Chorizo Subs: Sooo good! I roast broccoli to go with it (olive oil and Everyday seasoning on broccoli and stick it in the oven!).
- Iowa Girl Eats Lazy Girl’s Ravioli Lasagna: I assembled this during nap time. I recommend buying two packs of lasagna if you want to make a bigger pan. I would definitely assemble this on the weekend then freeze it then pop it in the oven when you get home from work.
- Three Many Cooks’ Roasted Sausages with Tomatoes and Onions: Super easy and you could pair it with some rice, too. I would throw some white beans in there for good measure.
- Eat Live Run’s Hummus and Avocado toasts: I throw ham on it because
someonemy husband gets cranky if there is no meat in our meals!
- Lastly, Rachael Ray’s Chickpea Tabbouleh Salad with Tuna: Just found this and love it!
Hopefully this helps you get back into the swing of school life! And thanks for sticking with me through the very long tour of my cooking life.