What are you doing Saturday, April 13th? Do you live in the MetroDC area? You should attend edcamp MetroDC! I will admit that this is a shameless plug for an event that I am helping to organize, but I am confident that you will get something out of it! Plus it is FREE!!
edcamps are considered unconferences. The participants decide what to discuss the day of the event. The schedule is blank at the beginning of the day, but it fills up as people write down what they would like to learn. I was lucky to attend the edcamp Baltimore this past fall. We discussed many topics including iPads and Twitter to teaching thematically and arts integration. It was also wonderful to meet new teachers from the area.
Here is the mission of edcamps:
edcamp MetroDC is a free, unconference for anyone interested in K-12 education, including teachers, administrators, parents, community members.
The defining characteristics of an edcamp are as follows:
- non-commercial and conducted with a vendor-free presence
- hosted by an organization interested in furthering the edcamp mission
- made up of sessions determined on the day of the event
- events where anyone who attends can be a presenter
- reliant on the “law of two feet” that encourages participants to find a session that meets their needs
I would love to meet some of you here! If you cannot attend this edcamp, you should find one in your area. They are taking place everywhere! Follow the link to the wiki with the locations and dates of upcoming edcamps.